Violence against women and girls

  An eighteen-year-old woman chronically raped by her father, brother and uncles since she was eight. A nineteen-year-old girl having chronic pelvic and genital pain secondary to genital mutilation. A twelve-year-old female child being sold and married off to a forty two year old man in her village. A twenty-eight-year old woman physically beaten byContinue reading “Violence against women and girls”

Mental health, society and stigma.

Author: Huma R Khan The extent of the issue The premise of this article is to discuss mental health, common mental health issues, the issues of stigma and to signpost to some important resources and organisations. Mental health problems are a significant contributor to the overall disease burden worldwide, with major depression being the secondContinue reading “Mental health, society and stigma.”

Polygyny – Provision or Privilege

Written By: Rabia Nazir The fast-pacing world is not only shaping thinking patterns of masses; the relationship forms and choices are also moving from ‘traditional’ to ‘tailored’. Non-believing researchers often question that why a religion like Islam which strongly supports the rights of women accepts ‘polygamy’. Islam allows ‘polygyny’ to be more specific; implying thatContinue reading “Polygyny – Provision or Privilege”

Glacial ice- what is the future?

Part 1 Author and Narrator : Fozia Tahir   Background Information  Fresh water accounts for only 3% of global water resources. Remaining 97% is sea water that contains salt and is unfit for drinking and agriculture. Out of the 3% freshwater available 2.5% is in frozen form in glaciers and arctic ice. Most of this water is storedContinue reading “Glacial ice- what is the future?”

Sabz Photography Competition

Think Globally, Capture Locally  Global Environmental pollution and temperature are on the rise and the risk associated with climate change are escalating. Adaptation and serious steps towards mitigation are essential to bring change in the society on individual as well as policy level. Climate change is a global reality that will affect us, regardless ofContinue reading “Sabz Photography Competition”

Sexuality and Physical Education at Home and School

Written and Narrated by: Fozia Tahir According to UNESCO (2009), the primary goal of sexuality education is to equip children and young people with the knowledge, skills and values to make responsible choices about their sexual and social relationships in a world affected by HIV. In addition to learning about the risks of pregnancy andContinue reading “Sexuality and Physical Education at Home and School”

Infatuation with aesthetic experience

To be or not to be comfortable in one’s skin Written and narrated by: Fozia Tahir How many advertisements do you come across daily that are a reminder of what beauty is to women of all shape, size and age. Has the society plotted impossible standards for beauty? Is there a right age to startContinue reading “Infatuation with aesthetic experience”

What does dowry mean? Jahez or Mehr….

Written and Narrated by: Rabia Nazir The literal meaning of dowry stands as ‘gift or present’. In a south-Asian society, dowry is referred to as a collection of household items, jewellery, and cash given as gift to the bride by her family at the time of marriage. Happily or unhappily, changing its form from timeContinue reading “What does dowry mean? Jahez or Mehr….”

Sexual Violence against Children

Written by: Huma Khan Narrated by: Fozia Tahir Zainab Ansari, a 7 year old child was on her way to Quran recitation classes in Kasur, Pakistan, when she was abducted, raped, strangled and left in a dumpster. Her body was discovered on the 9th January 2018. Autopsy has yielded that she was most likely heldContinue reading “Sexual Violence against Children”